The National Poison Data System database was used to examine trends in suspected suicide attempts by self-poisoning among persons aged 10-19 years before and during the COVID-19 pandemic. Substances most frequently involved in overdoses were acetaminophen, ibuprofen, sertraline, fluoxetine, and diphenhydramine.
- Overall rate increased 30% from 2019 to 2021
- Rates among children aged 10-12 increased 73%
- Rates among adolescents aged 13-15 increased 48.8%
- Rates among females increased 36.8%
- Acetaminophen-involved increased 71% in 2021 and 58% in 2022
- Diphenhydramine-involved overdoses increased 24.2% in 2021 and 35.8% in 2022
Farah, R., et al. (2023). Suspected Suicide Attempts by Self-Poisoning Among Persons Aged 10-19 Years During the COVID-19 Pandemic - United States, 2020-2022. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 72(16): 426-430. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/wr/mm7216a3.htm?s_cid=mm7216a3_w